- Encourage and support more people to pursue health and happiness by hiking in nature
- Promote safe and environmentally responsible bushwalking / hiking in Western Australia;
- Help enhance the bushwalking value of the natural environment for the community by promoting and actively working for its conservation and effective management;
- Work to enhance bushwalking opportunities for all by encouraging the development, maintenance and protection of the integrity and accessibility of walking tracks and trails;
- Collectively represent an estimated 200,000+ Western Australians who go bushwalking. A majority of WA’s bushwalking clubs are members of HikeWest;
- Provide an effective voice for bushwalking and bushwalkers – by advocating through meetings and discussions with State and Local government, land managers and others; and in written submissions, on important issues that affect bushwalking opportunities and experiences in WA;
- Provide information to the community to encourage and assist more Western Australians to discover and participate in bushwalking, and to join our Member Clubs;
- Assist our members, other bushwalkers and the wider community in ways consistent with the above objectives, including help for groups keen to start up their own new bushwalking club/group;
- Facilitate insurances cover for eligible member groups through Bushwalking Australia, the national peak body, providing those groups with competitive insurance cover.
- Contribute to the interests of bushwalkers at a national level through membership and participation on the Council of Bushwalking Australia (BA), the peak national bushwalking body; to facilitate interaction and sharing of knowledge and skills with other state bushwalking bodies, clubs and individual bushwalkers across Australia.
- We acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land on which we walk, and their continuing cultural and spiritual connection to country.
Our Current Projects
You can contribute!
We offer a range of opportunities for members and the wider community to contribute to our voluntary efforts to achieve better bushwalking for WA.